Sunday, September 13, 2009

TVB Version of "Hana Yori Dango"

There have been four TV adaptations of the popular manga "Hana Yori Dango" so far: the Taiwanese Meteor Garden (2001), the Japanese Hana Yori Dango (2005), the Korean Boys Over Flowers (2009), and the Mainland Chinese Meteor Shower (2009). Watching these versions inspired me to ponder who should get cast if TVB ever decides to make a "Hana Yori Dango" adaptation of their own. Of course, the chances of TVB actually making one is pretty slim since the majority of their audience are more interested in watching family conflicts than love problems, but it's still fun to see.

Makino Tsukushi: Jessica Hsuan and Tavia Yeung

Photobucket
If Jessica Hsuan was younger, I think she would have made a perfect Makino Tsukushi. Jessica has portrayed enough independent and strong characters to fight against a character like Domyoji Tsukasa.

Photobucket
As for the younger actresses, it was a lot harder to choose. I think both Tavia Yeung and Michelle Yip can portray this role. I think Michelle's looks are more suitable as Makino Tsukushi since her characters in “Eternal Happiness” and “Lofty Water Verdent Bow” reminded me somewhat of Makino Tsukushi. However, Tavia won't disappoint in the crying scenes so I think I'll choose Tavia since she's the better actress.

Domyoji Tsukasa: Louis Koo and Raymond Lam

Photobucket
Like Jessica Hsuan, if Louis Koo was younger, he should portray Domyoji Tsukasa. An LJ reunion anybody? ;) Louis can definitely play the cold-hearted bully turned sweetheart.

Photobucket
The first actor that jumped to my mind was Raymond Lam and I have no doubt in his acting skills. I also thought of Ron Ng but I don't think his acting can pull it off yet. I would love to see a RM reunion but Raymond and Tavia as a couple is not bad either.

Hanazawa Rui: Raymond Wong and Sammul Chan

Photobucket
Both Julian Cheung and Raymond Wong will not make a bad older version of Hanazawa Rui. I'll go with Raymond though since he has that “quieter” look that I saw in "Sweetness in the Salt". Jessica and Raymond has never paired up before and I am a little bit iffy about them as a couple since Raymond is younger, but their acting will probably make up for it.

Photobucket
I think Ron Ng's looks match that of Hanazawa Rui's but Ron has a tough image so I think Sammul Chan has a better chance since I always imagined Hanazawa Rui to have softer looks. Tavia and Sammul has never been paired up before so I think it will be refreshing to see them as a couple.

Nishikado Sojiro: Kevin Cheng and Ron Ng

Photobucket
A cutie playboy character should definitely go to Kevin Cheng.

Photobucket
A lot of the younger actors could probably portray this role but I think it's a toss up between Bosco Wong and Ron Ng. I think Ron Ng gives the cold shoulder better.

Mimasaka Akira: Michael Tong and Kenneth Ma

Photobucket
Michael Tong will probably be the best choice for this character since Mimasaka Akira is the calmest pretty boy.

Photobucket
Kenneth Ma will be good for this role because he has portrayed these type of roles before.

Todo Shizuka: Gigi Lai and Bernice Liu

Photobucket
Gigi Lai because she has the “model” look. Gigi and Raymond will probably make a cute couple since they are both young looking.

Photobucket
Bernice Liu or Fala Chen but I'll go with Bernice since she looks more mature. Bernice doesn't look older than Sammul but they were a couple before in "Survivor's Law".

Matsuoka Yuki: Claire Yiu and Leila Tong

Photobucket
I would choose either Noel Leung or Claire Yiu, but I think I'll go with Claire since she impressed me with a gentle image in “The Threshold of a Persona”. Claire and Kevin will make a pretty good couple since they weren't too bad in "Under the Canopy of Love".

Photobucket
Leila Tong or Linda Chung will be good for this role since they're both sweet and innocent enough, but acting wise, I'll go with Leila. Seeing Ron and Linda as a couple would be refreshing but I couldn't resist pairing Ron with Leila again. However, this time it will be different since Leila will be chasing after Ron instead of the other way around.

Domyoji Tsubaki: Margie Tsang and Jessica Hsuan

Photobucket
Either Sheren Tang or Margie Tsang, but I think Margie better suits this character. I can't really picture Margie playing Louis's older sister but you'll never know.

Photobucket
Jessica Hsuan or Ada Choi but since Domyoji Tsubaki is similar to Tsukushi Makino, I'll choose Jessica. Jessica has portrayed Raymond's older sister before in "The Drive of Life" so no doubts here.

Domyoji Kaede: Liza Wang and Michelle Yim

Photobucket
There's no competition here. "War of In-Laws II", anybody? Liza Wang is the ultimate "Hana Yori Dango" mother. I would love to see the "fights" between her and Jessica.

Photobucket
Michelle Yim's role in "Moonlight Resonance" reminded me of Domyoji Kaede. The tension between Michelle, Tavia, and Raymond was fantastic in "Moonlight Resonance" so they will be able to create even more in here.

Okawahara Shigeru: Charmaine Sheh and Linda Chung

Photobucket
Okawahara Shigeru is an interesting character since she's the third wheel but you can't hate her. Therefore, I think Charmaine Sheh will be a good choice since she can portray the feisty and sweet side to Okawahara Shigeru. A Charmaine and Louis paring will also be refreshing.

Photobucket
I would have given this to Tavia Yeung if I chose Michelle Yip as Tsukushi Makino. In a lot of ways, Linda Chung's characters reminded me of Okawahara Shigeru. Linda and Raymond has paired up before so they would be interesting to watch in here.

Nakashima Umi: Yoyo Mung and Selena Li

Photobucket
Yoyo Mung's character in "Heart of Greed" reminded me a lot of Nakashima Umi. Both characters are supposed to be the main characters' friends but ended up betraying them behind their backs. Louis and Yoyo as a couple is not too bad either.

Photobucket
I would choose either Selena Li or Myolie Wu since Nakashima Umi is supposedly a sweet and innocent person, but Selena's looks better suit this role. Selena and Raymond was a couple in "Face to Fate" so it will be interesting to see them in here.

No comments: