Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Meteor Shower


A.K.A. Let’s Go Watch Meteor Shower. MS is the fourth adaptation of the popular manga "Hana Yori Dango". However, a lot of the plot and characters have changed so I see this more like an "indirect" version of "Hana Yori Dango". I didn't have a lot of expectations for this drama because it's not really talked about, but I decided to give this a chance due to good reviews from people who have actually seen it and the curiosity to watch all of the "Hana Yori Dango" adaptations. And to my surprise, this was a really good and enjoyable drama to watch. All of the changes made MS into a drama by itself because I could not predict what would happen next. This is also the most "realistic" adaptation of "Hana Yori Dango" I have seen. In addition, MS is the adaptation to show other versions/countries (like Korea's "Boys Over Flowers) that it's okay to deviate from the manga as long as you stay true to the premise of it.

However, there are some flaws in here. I love how they took the time to develop the characters and the love stories but it was a tad too slow for my liking. I didn't fast forward any scenes though so that was a good sign. The editing was not too smooth in here and it was obvious that this was not a very big production because the actors and actresses kept wearing the same clothes over and over again. Lastly, I wished the artists' voices weren't dubbed since I wanted to hear what they really sounded like.

Zheng Shuang: She's really cute and pretty; she reminds me of a mix between Angela Zhang and Ariel Lin. A lot of people also think she looks like Rainie Yang but I don't see it. For Zheng Shuang's first time acting, she was fabulous. Although her character was frustrating at times, she stayed true as Makino Tsukushi for the most part. 5*****

Zhang Han: I love his smile and undying love for Zheng Shuang. His looks grow on you since I didn't think he was all that good-looking in the beginning. His acting was also really good since he was expressive in all of his scenes. Zhang Han is my second favorite Doumyouji Tsukasa. 5*****

Yu Hao Ming: I feel so bad for Yu Hao Ming since he is the most hated Hanazawa Rui out of all the four versions so far. Although he wasn't the sweet and sacrificing best friend who couldn't get the main girl, I thought he was the most realistic Hanazawa Rui. His acting was also really good for his first time acting. 5*****

Zhu Zi Xiao: I love his expressions in here but he reminds me more of Mimasaka Akira than Nishikado Sojiro though. He was the comic relief in here and his acting was good for being a newbie. 5*****

Wei Chen: He's adorable and although he's supposed to be Mimasaka Akira, he got a lot of screen time and a story of his own. I like how he got equal screen time as the rest of the other actors and actresses, and his acting was also good for his first time. 5*****

Xiao Han: I like how Doumyouji Tsukasa's sister is changed so that she is a larger character in here. Xiao Han is a good actress. 4****

Peng Yang: An interesting twist to the Todo Shizuka character. Unfortunately, her character is not liked in her. Peng Yang was pretty good in here. 4****

Chen Yi Na: Her character is cute but not really developed. 4****

Zheng Shuang+Zhang Han: My new favorite couple! They are adorable together and I love their chemistry. They make me believe they are really in love with each other. I can't get enough of them since their cute love scenes in here were pretty limited. I hope they act together in another drama soon!

Zheng Shuang+Yu Hao Ming: They were okay but they don't have much chemistry with each other. 3***

Wei Chen+Xiao Han: I'm still kind of iffy on what I think of them as a couple but they're not too bad together. 3***

Zhu Zi Xiao+Chen Yi Na: They are cute in here and I'm glad they got their happy ending. 4****

Yu Hao Ming+Peng Yang: They actually look pretty good in here. 3***

Zhang Han+Ma Jian Qin: There weren't really any chemistry between them and they don't really fit in terms of looks either. 2**

Xiao Han+Zong Feng Yan: I thought they were a nice couple in here. 3***

OST: Initially, the songs were only okay but they grew on me as I listened to them throughout the drama. 5*****

Rating: 4**** Sadly, this is a pretty underrated adaptation of "Hana Yori Dango" and a drama by itself but the good news is, there will be a sequel since the ending was kind of unsatisfying.

No comments: