Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Threshold of a Persona

I had a hard time deciding on whether to watch this or not because I heard mixed reviews. Overall, TTOAP was an okay watch; the plot was simple and at times repetitive since it only deals with immigration and family problems. The characters developments were good, but it would have been better if there were less episodes since it was slow and kind of draggy in the middle. However, I heard the Hong Kong version had 27 episodes instead of 30 and some people were disappointed.

Roger Kwok: Not my favorite role of Roger's since he seems so "cowardly" when it comes to his wife, but Roger did a good job. 5*****

Yoyo Mung: Another repetitive role for Yoyo but she does a pretty good job at it. I kind of feel bad for Yoyo though because she always portrays the selfless characters who don't get the main characters' attention until the very last minute. 4****

Claire Yiu: I think this is my favorite role of Claire's since she was really believable in her scenes. Her character was really interesting to watch and she looked really pretty in here. I felt so sad for her character though. 5*****

Raymond Cho: His character was for the most part kind of inconsistent since he became too "extreme". I think the writers tried too hard to make him the ultimate "villain". This is also the first drama to feature Raymond and John Chiang together after Raymond became John's son-in-law in real life. 4****

Patrick Tang: I actually like him in here since he was the sweet and protective older brother. His acting was also pretty good in here. 4****

Toby Leung: She was annoying when she refused to accept her "family" but she was okay to watch for the most part. She always portrays stubborn characters so it's not an exception in here. Her hairstyle was also horrible in here. 3***

Natalie Tong: She's cute as a single mother in here. 4****

Kenny Wong: His character was so sweet to Claire's. I felt bad for him when Claire couldn't return his love. 5*****

Power Chan: A good performance and I'm glad nothing bad happened to him at the end. 5*****

Ruco Chan: I liked him better in "A Great Way to Care" but he did an okay job in here. 3***

Ben Wong: He's such a caring older brother in here. 5*****

Roger+Claire: They made a pretty cute couple in here so it was sad that they didn't get their happy ending after what they had to go through. 4****

Roger+ Yoyo: It seems like they only ended up together because they had nobody else and they are the main characters. It was kind of forced since all of a sudden, Yoyo started to like Roger. 3***

Yoyo+Raymond: They were okay but did Raymond even love Yoyo? 3***

Claire+Kenny: I like Kenny's devotion to Claire but I don't think Claire ever love him. More like thankfulness? 3***

Patrick+Toby: It seems like they only got together because Natalie rejected Patrick so he had nobody else but Toby. 2**

Natalie+Ruco: They don't look bad together. 2**

Patrick+Natalie: I was rooting for them to end up together but it didn't happen. 3***

Themesong by Roger Kwok and Patrick Tang: 3***

Rating: 3.5***

No comments: